Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The First Day, The First Post

This morning, I was searching some old friends on Facebook and came across an old friend of mine. Carly Knight. She happened to be blogging on this site, so I figured, what the hell, let's see what she has been up to. After reading some of her posts, I began not only to see who and where she is today, but to remember things we had done in the past as friends. How had she changed? Well, she had moved to New York a few years ago, which I always knew she would. Definitely not a girl you could keep tied down to the Quad Cities. Her hopes and dreams were far broader than mine at any time in my life. Anyway, I felt a little jealous of her.

Mostly because she had followed her dreams, and they had led her to a city filled with people similar to her, but not her. At some point in my life, I had felt the exact same way. I wanted to move to NY City to see if I could be one of millions of people who travel there to find some sort of relevance in their music careers. Where had I strayed from these original thoughts? What does this say about me? Am I willing to give up my dreams for things that are not my dreams, and if I am, to what extent? I kind of wish I hadn't given up on my limited musical experience. Sure, I sing in the shower and sing in my car, but what good does that do me if the point of being musical is to share your musical talents with the world?

Sometimes I have to sit and think about what I have had to sacrifice in my life, the things that used to mean so much to me, to get me where I am today. What talents have you sacrificed? What have you given up lately? You know, when we were younger, Carly and I were good friends. What happened to that? I still want to be her friend, maybe someday we will reconnect, but for now, I am willing to settle for Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. So, old friend and hopefully new friend again, what are your dreams? Do you know? Have you thought about it recently? Can I help you?

    ReplyDelete